An easy to prepare, Indian inspired soup straight out of Chef John Lowe’s kitchen.
1 cup diced carrots
2 cups diced onions
1 cup diced celery
2 cups diced Granny Smith apples
8 oz. (1/2 pound) boneless, skinless
2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter
1 cup white long grain rice (cooked)
2 Tbsps. curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp (or to taste) cayenne pepper
1 tsp (or to taste) sea salt
3 Tbsps. all purpose flour
2 quarts chicken stock
1 pint of half and half or light cream
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Grilled pita (optional)
Serves 8 to 10
4. Prepare rice following package directions. Yield 1 cup of rice. Remove from pan, cool, and reserve.
1. Start by dicing vegetables and fruit into a uniform size. Approximately 1/4” by 1/4”. Set aside.
2. Dice chicken breasts approximately 1/2” by 1/2” (or the size of your thumbnail). Lightly season with sea salt.
3. Melt 1 Tbsp. of butter in skillet and sauté chicken until browned and cooked through. Remove from pan, cool, and reserve.
5. In a soup pot sauté vegetables in remaining butter over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
6. Add all dry seasonings. Reduce to a low heat. Add flour and whisk constantly until flour is fully combined and cooked. Approximately 5 minutes.
8. Add chicken, rice, diced apples, and cream. Adjust seasonings to taste.
9. Once soup reached desired temperature serve in the dish of your choice. Garnish with fresh parsley and grilled pita.
7. Add chicken stock. Raise heat to medium high. Continuously whisk until lightly thickened and liquid reaches a simmer.